• Futurechromes is hiring a researcher to lead and carry on the SOLAR project!
Job title: Postdoctoral researcher
The project belongs to the project call Colaboración Público-Privada (CPP), CPP2021-008883, funded by MCIN/AEI/10.13039/501100011033, and by the EU Next GenerationEU/ Plan de recuperación, transformación y resiliencia.
It will be carried out in collaboration with Nanostructured Functional Materials (Nanosfun) Group (www.nanosfun.com) of ICN2 (www.icn2.com) and Idonial Technology Centre (https://idonial.com/es/).
It is focused on the development of highly transparent and long-lasting UV-responsive photochromic nanomaterials for smart windows. These materials should allow to improve comfort and energy efficiency in buildings.
To develop large-scale photochromic materials able to change their tint from transparent to coloured upon sunlight irradiation.
Tasks and responsibilities
The candidate research activity will be related to the SOLAR project (Development of advanced photochromic materials for solar light autoregulation), with full dedication. It is an applied research project, where Futurechromes leads the collaboration with research institutes and other companies (Futurechromes partners).
New technologies, processes and patents are expected to come out from the project.
The project involves these main areas:
- understanding the causes of photochromic dyes degradation,
- improvement photochromic dyes photostability,
- scale-up of the nanoparticles and films through industrial processes,
- characterization of chemical, morphological and optical properties of the materials synthesized.
- direct collaboration with private companies.
- preparation of samples for the delivery to partners.
- preparation of prototypes.
- tests of energy saving.
- supervision PhD and master students.
Most of the work will be carried out in high confidential regime.
The hired person will be fully focused on this project, carrying on lab work, but also marketing and commercial activities, being in strong contact with other final users or manufacturers of the materials required for the developed nanotechnology. It will be also asked the preparation of reports, protocols and presentations to show the latest results and register information.
Education, experience, skills required:
Basic skill requirements:
- A PhD in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering (preferred), but also in Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Materials Science, would be suitable.
- Experience in lab work and research, especially in the synthesis and characterization of polymeric nanoparticles through wet methods (oil-in-water emulsions).
- Expertise in films and coatings.
- Expertise in scaling up and industrial processes for nanomaterials and films/coating fabrication.
- Experience in morphological and optical characterization of the nanomaterials.
- Background in materials/polymers science.
- Capability to work autonomously is a must.
- Will to run an applied research project.
- Be capable to have discussions with private partners for the technology development.
- Good spoken English.
- Being able to work under pressure during peak activities.
Other skills that would be considered:
- Modelling for calculation of light transmittance and energy modulation.
- Good attitude in working in a team.
- Motivation and ability to overcome scientific challenges.
Project duration (2 years 9 months)
As soon as possible
- Motivation letter
- 2 reference contact details
This contract is part of the project CPP2021-008883, funded by MCIN/AEI/10.13039/501100011033 and by the European Union-NextGenerationEU/PRTR.